Description & Technical information

English Market
from the Golden Gate Collection

A Chinese export porcelain armorial teacaddy and cover with a coat of arms, sprays of flowers and a Buddhistic lion knop to the cover with a chain border to its rim.

The arms are of the Blackwell baronets of Sprowston, Norfolk. The baronetcy was was created in 1718 for Lambert Blackwell (d1727) a diplomat to the Court of Tuscany and the Republics of Genoa and Venice. His mother was a daughter of the Cromwellian General Lambert. He was a director of the South Sea Company and Member of Parliament for Wilton 1708-10. His son Sir Charles (1700-41) was succeeded by his son, Sir Lambert (1732-1801) 3rd and last Bt, who died unmarried. The service was made for the 3rd baronet.

References: Howard 1974, p564, a teapoy the same as this;

Date:  Qianlong period circa 1755
Period:  1750-1850, 18th century
Origin:  China
Medium: porcelain
Dimensions: 13.5 cm (5³/₈ inches)
Categories: Oriental and Asian Art