Description & Technical information

The later Paonazza marble top over a frieze applied with egg and dart and flower and ribbon moulding. The massive well modelled central lions head, flanked by swags of oak leaves supported on carved cabriole legs with stylised shell knees and spiral brackets with further moulding terminating in paw feet.

Date:  1740
Period:  1600-1750, 18th century
Origin:  Ireland
Medium: Mahogany, marble top
Dimensions: 86.25 x 165.5 x 73.5 cm (34 x 65¹/₈ x 28⁷/₈ inches)
Provenance: Powerscourt House, Ireland

Powerscourt Estate, County Wicklow, Ireland is a large country estate, noted for its house and landscaped gardens. Originally a 13th Century castle, the medieval house was transformed in the 18th century, by 1st Viscount Powerscourt, who was keen to make his mark and assert his position as one of importance in society. In 1730 he commissioned the German-born architect Richard Castle to build Powerscourt House, a 68 room mansion, completed in 1741. The mansion was designed around the medieval castle in the style of Palladian architecture, featuring baroque dome-roofed towers and a grand Palladian entrance. The house contained some of the finest 18th century interiors in Ireland and was considered one of the country’s most beautiful houses.


Categories: Furniture