Description & Technical information

Maxime Maufra made several decorations for the Grand Hôtel de la Mer in Morgat. During the construction of the first hotel in 1899, Maufra painted three paintings, The Wind, The Calm and The Storm, which met with great success and are considered the masterpieces of the artist. The first hotel, too far from the sea, was quickly abandoned, and a second one was built in 1902. It was for this new building, precisely for the dining room, that these paintings were painted, that a third, The Village, exhibited at Durand-Ruel in 1907, accompanied them.


Dated lower right followed by a sea anchor : 1902
Certificate of authenticity issued by Mrs Caroline Godfroy dated October 27th, 2017. This work is recorded under the photo n°23343 in the archives of Durand-Ruel.



Date:  1902
Period:  20th century
Origin:  France
Medium: Oil on canvas
Dimensions: 198 x 143 cm (78 x 56¹/₄ inches)
Provenance: Grand Hotel de Morgat's dining room, Finistère, France

Literature: 

Musée du Prieuré, Saint-Germain-en-Laye, Maxime Maufra, supplement of the exhibition catalogue, 1986, n°28 and n°29.

This work will be included in the Catalogue Critique de l'oeuvre de Maxime Maufra being prepared by Mrs Caroline Godfroy.


Exhibitions: 

Maxime Maufra, Musée du Prieuré, Saint-Germain-en-Laye, 1986.



Categories: Paintings, Drawings & Prints