Description & Technical information

An important George III ormolu mounted 20 light cut glass chandelier by William Parker. The history of the chandelier can be traced back to its original owners, the Dukes of Newcastle, at Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire. From there it was sold to the Earl of Lincoln, but never installed. It passed through the hands of Delomosne & Son, who sold it to Nancy Lancaster of Colefax and Fowler. She had the chandelier installed at three of her private homes. When her last home, Haseley Court, was destroyed by a fire, the chandelier sustained damage. It has since been extensively repaired and has some replaced 18th century components.

Date:  circa 1780
Period:  George III
Origin:  English
Medium: Glass
Dimensions: 216 x 112 cm (85 x 44¹/₈ inches)
Provenance: The Dukes of Newcastle at Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire, England.
The Earl of Lincoln, but never installed, and subsequently sold to; Delomosne & Son, London, England.
Nancy Lancaster for Ditchley Park, Oxfordshire, England.
Moved to Kelmarsh Hall, Nottinghamshire, England.
Haseley Court, Oxfordshire, England.
Delomosne & Son Ltd., London, England.
Literature: Illustrated: Martin Mortimer, The English Glass Chandelier, 2000, p. 102, pl. 48.