Description & Technical information

To the front a polygonal link set with cushion cut diamonds, sapphires and rubies, flanked by principal drop pearl link set end-to-end to one side and a pave rose cut diamond drop link to the other, each with facetted gem set cap, upon a chain of gold cube links set to each face with a cushion cut diamond, sapphire or ruby, alternating in colour, bold gold tracelinks in between, to the back quatrelobe pearl links alternating ruby and sapphire cushion cut collet rubies, LS lozenge workshop mark.

Georges Le Sache (1849-c.1920), born into a creative family in Paris, his grandfather Jean-Jacques Le Sache, was an engraver for the Paris Mint, commissioned to make a medal by the Mayor of Ghent in 1810. His father Emile was a talented engraver and his mother ran a jewellery shop in the Palais Royal. Primarily interested in painting as an adolescent he had planned to study at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, but was sent by his parents to work for Friedman Jewellery in Germany in 1866, aged 17. It was at this firm, where a few years later Carl Faberge would also train.

Moving on to work in London, in between times he returned to France in 1870 to fight in the Franco-Prussian war. He finally settled back in Paris in 1872, where he began work as a designer for the jeweller Lucien Falize. The two men became collaborators and friends and Le Sache stayed with Falize for five years. In 1877, he left to join manufacturing jewellers Baucheron et Guillain, following his marriage to Baucheron's daugher. As was often the way within such workshops, he later took over the firm as his own. Le Sache began to create pieces for some of the most famous Parisian jewellery houses of the period who exhibited his pieces at the world fairs both in Paris and internationally. He also came to the attention of the American jewellers Tiffany & Co. who commissioned various pieces from him including a brooch in the form of a diamond set basket of flowers and another with cabochon amethysts which was shaped like a crown.

Le Sache ran his workshop for over thirty years, preferring to remain anonymous he worked to commission and sold only through agents. Never forgetting how enriching his five years with Falize had been, his workshop saw a steady stream of apprentices and craftsmen training at his benches. He was recognised by his peers in 1901 with a large silver-gilt plaque, awarded for what Henri Vever referred to as the 'rare talents and absolute integrity of an excellent artist and manufacturer'. Whilst never seeking attention for himself, the quality of his work spoke for itself and his pieces are now in some of the most important jewellery collections in the world.
Weight: 44g

Date:  c.1880
Period:  19th century
Origin:  Paris
Medium: Pearl, diamond, ruby, sapphire and gold
Dimensions: 40 x 1.2 x 0.6 cm (15³/₄ x 0¹/₂ x 0¹/₄ inches)
Categories: Jewellery