Description & Technical information

In the German Renaissance style, the baluster stem cast with gargoyles, the conforming waisted bowl and detachable cover chased with grotesque masks and foliage, engraved with crests and coat-of-arms, raised on a hexafoil lobed foot stamped R&S GARRARD PANTON STREET LONDON.


The arms of Sir Edward Clarence Kerrison, 2nd Bt., M.P. on his marriage (1844) to Caroline, daughter of Henry Fox-Strangways, 3rd Earl of Ilchester.

Edward Kerrison (1821-86) of Brome Hall was known as a great friend of agricultural laborers in Eye, Suffolk which he represented in Parliament and to which town he brought the railway.

The caltraps on his shield are age-old weapons of defense against cavalry and with the crest of augmentation mark the distinguished service of the first baronet, General Kerrison (d.1853) against the Napoleonic armies. The Fox component of the shield contains the fleur-de-lis granted by Charles II to Sir James Fox (1627-1718) for his resource in finding funds to support that king's exile.
Weight: 1935g, 62.25oz

Date:  1856
Period:  1850-1900, 19th century
Origin:  England, London
Medium: silver-gilt
Signature: Maker`s mark of Robert Garrard II Retailer`s stamp of R & S Garrard.

Dimensions: 48.25 x 20.25 cm (19 x 8 inches)
Categories: Silver