Description & Technical information

Formed of large triangular red glass tesserae, transitioning from deep purple at the bottom of the panel to terracotta-red at the top, interspersed with small triangular blue glass tesserae alternately framed with either white or gold glass tesserae.

Condition:
Old break across top right corner (running diagonally from eighth red tesserae from left) repaired using original tesserae taken from the top of panel to form a complete rectangle. Diagonal crack across bottom right corner (from eighth purple-red tesserae from left). Set into plaster.


Origin:  Byzantine
Medium: Glass
Dimensions: 16.5 x 12.5 cm (6¹/₂ x 4⁷/₈ inches)
Provenance: G. Sangiorgi Collection (1886-1960), Rome, acquired late 19th-early 20th century and thence by descent; Sold Christie's, New York, 3 June 1999, lot 225; Property of a Private Foundation

Giorgio Sangiorgi (1886-1960) was a collector and antiquities dealer with a gallery at Palazzo Borghese at 117, via Ripetta in Rome. Born in Messina, Sangiorgi assembled most of his collection in the late nineteenth century. An exhibition of his ancient textiles was held at the Castel Sant’Angelo in Rome in 1911, and his ancient glass collection was published in 1914. Many of his pieces were subsequently acquired by private collectors and museums.
Categories: Classical & Egyptian antiquities