Description & Technical information

This delicate jade bowl with two handles is carved from whitish-green jade and sits on a ring foot. The outer sides of the bowl are carved with rows of stems extending from above the foot to just below the rim. The stems begin and end with inward-facing stylised floral motifs. In line with the stems are four tall, evenly spaced leaf motifs rendered in gold appliqué, visible both outside and inside the bowl. The two handles are solid and curved, and decorated with acanthus leaves. A small hole, now filled, is visible on one side of the bowl. It is surrounded by a small area of jade that has not been polished, indicating the possible presence of a small plaque in the past.
A label under the foot indicates that this bowl was once housed in the Qaisar Bagh Palace in Lucknow, India, built in the mid-19th century by Wajid Ali Shah, the last Nawab of Awadh.  A comparable example to this bowl can be found in the National Palace Museum, Taipei, illustrated in Teng Shu-p’ing, plate 150, pp. 124 & 260.

Date:  Late 18th century
Period:  1750-1850, 18th century
Origin:  India
Medium: Whitish-green jade
Dimensions: 6.9 x 18 cm (2³/₄ x 7¹/₈ inches)
Provenance: Private UK Collection since 1957; taken from the Qaisar Bagh Palace in Lucknow in 1858 by a Sergeant of the H.M. 20 Regiment

Literature: Teng Shu-p’ing. Exquisite Beauty – Islamic Jades, National Palace Museum, Taipei, 2012.

Categories: Oriental and Asian Art