Description & Technical information

The set comprises twelve side chairs and two armchairs. One chair is inscribed ‘Mr. Slayter 1812’, probably referring to a cabinet-maker or  pholsterer who refurbished the chairs in 1812. There are several  cabinet-makers listed of that name and at that time. Richard Slayter, who worked for Gillows in Lancaster at that time, signed other pieces with his name.
Similar chairs were formerly in the dining room at Croome Court, Worcestershire, and are now on display at Kelmarsh Hall, Northamptonshire.

Date:  1775
Period:  George III
Medium: Mahogany
Provenance: Mr. R. Moss Harris, London, England.
Literature: Geoffrey Beard and Christopher Gilbert, The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840, 1986, pp. 820-21. Illustrated:
Ronald Phillips Ltd., 'Antique English Furniture', catalogue, 2015, pp. 108-11.
Categories: Furniture