Description & Technical information

Note: The table frame has been re-gilded.
Dominic Bartoli was born around 1740 in the city of Livorno, Italy. By the early 1760s he had emigrated and settled in London, training as a stonemason. He was employed by William Constable in the 1760s for work at Burton Constable, Yorkshire, England. It was during this commission that he first met Robert Adam, with whom he worked for many years. In 1767, Bartoli entered into a short partnership with John Richter, but after only a decade he was once again working on his own.
Bartoli’s distinctive style is evident in this statuary marble top. Black marble or slate were more traditional materials. The pattern, with floral roundels and decorated borders, derives directly from Robert Adam’s repertoire. 
Tops made by Bartoli are in the collections at Nostell Priory in Yorkshire and Syon House and Osterley Park, both in west London. They and the present example all follow the same template: a central fan on the back edge, with running bands of decoration radiating from it.
A table top made for Charles Agar, 1st Earl of Normanton and Archbishop of Cashel (later Archbishop of Dublin), closely relates to our top. 


With a scagliola top attributed to Bartoli & Richter, designed by Robert Adam

Date:  circa 1775
Period:  George III
Origin:  English
Dimensions: 86.5 x 123 x 52.5 cm (34 x 48³/₈ x 20⁵/₈ inches)
Provenance: Partridge Fine Arts Ltd., London, England.
Private collection, New York, USA.
Categories: Furniture